2 small eggplants
2 T vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup awase miso paste (a mix of red and white miso paste)
2 T mirin
1 T granulated sugar
1 T sake
- Slice eggplant in half and score inside in small squares.
- Add oil to pan over high heat and place eggplant skin side facing down.
- Cook for a few minutes until skin is brown. Turn eggplant over and cover pan. Cook until eggplant is cooked through ( 3 to 4 minutes).
- Mix miso, mirin, sugar and sake in a bowl.
- Line a cooking tray with foil and place the eggplant on top. Brush eggplant with miso mix until all the surface is coated.
- Put in oven and grill for 4 minutes or until miso mix is bubbling.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot.